My birthday was this past week and I decided to take on a task I have never done before. Make my own birthday cupcakes. Now I’ve made cupcakes before, but I usually just cheat and used boxed cake mix. However, this time I decided to make them from scratch. I actually got this recipe from Anna Saccone on YouTube and just changed the decoration to match a birthday rather than 4th of July. You can check out her video here, and I’ve also transcribed the recipe down below:
For the cupcakes you’ll need:
2 3/4 cups plain flour 3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt 3/4 cups butter softened
1 2/3 cups sugar 5 egg whites
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 1 1/4 cups milk
38 glacé cherries chopped 1/2 tsp almond extract
For the glaze you’ll need:
3 cups icing sugar 3-4 tbsp water
2 tbsp golden syrup 1/2 tsp almond extract
1) Preheat your oven to 350F.
2) Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3) In a separate bowl beat the butter on medium speed.
4) Gradually add the sugar (1/4 cup at time) to the butter until all the sugar has been added, then allow to beat for 2 minutes.
5) Beat in the egg whites one at a time and add the vanilla extract.
6) At a low speed alternate adding the flour mixture (1/3 at a time) and the milk (1/2 at a time). Then add the almond extract.
7) Stir in the glacé cherries and spoon batter into the cupcake tin.
8) Bake for 18 -20 minutes, then allow cakes to cool.
9) Beat all the ingredients for the glaze together until smooth, then glaze cooled cupcakes. I wanted the glaze to be coloured rather than white, so I added a little bit of food colouring to the glaze.